Monday, May 15, 2006

Therapy, again

Tomorrow I will start therapy with a new therapist. It has been about 15 years since I last had therapy. That took place at least once a week for three years. I did not sleep well last night. I went to bed last night feeling anxious about starting with a new therapist. If any of you have comments for helping me reassure my brain that it's going to be OK, I'd welcome them. Thanks.

Perhaps I can post on some of the major topics we discuss in therapy. I know that here are some I feel a need to address:
anger management
defensiveness
the lie from the abuse: "You're no good!"
panic attacks
anxiety
fear
strong startle reflex

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne McCarthy said...

I am not quite sure what problems you anticipate but I will pray for you. I will be interested in reading as you blog through your list. It sounds like you will write about what it means to be human. However, I know that it comes from a place that most of us will never experience.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

I'm thinking of you today. Kudos to you for going back--I know it's not done lightly. From the anxiety/fear and startle respone you've pinpointed, it sounds like possibly there is some PTSD involved. I hope your therapist has expertise in that area. Be assertive and insist that you work on the areas you've identified--you know them best. But, note that you may need to do some grounding first in order for any trauma processing to work well. I wish you all the best in this most important work!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Comments 2

<< Home